Making an essential oil first aid kit is not only very easy, it is well worth the time and cost to put it together.
While you will agree that having a first aid kit on hand is a smart thing to do. we would suggest that adding natural remedies – such as essential oils – can make an already smart choice and even better one.
Essential oils are potent and a wonderful tool to add to your medicine chest. Here – at Natural Motherhood – we use essential oils almost on a daily basis…however, we only use Young Living therapeutic grade oils.
We adhere to the French school of aromatherapy which means that we are not opposed to using essential oils internally – and hence why we trust only Young Living.
First Aid Kit
According to the Government, this is what your first aid kit should contain:
- Two pairs of Latex – or other sterile – gloves if you are allergic to Latex
- Sterile dressings to stop bleeding
- Cleansing agent/soap and antibiotic towelettes
- Antibiotic ointment
- Burn ointment
- Adhesive bandages in a variety of sizes
- Eye wash solution to flush the eyes or as general decontaminant
- Prescription medications you take every day such as insulin, heart medicine and asthma inhalers.
- Prescribed medical supplies such as glucose and blood pressure monitoring equipment and supplies
- Aspirin or non-aspirin pain reliever
- Anti-diarrhea medication
- Tube of petroleum jelly or other lubricant
Essential Oil First Aid Kit
In our opinion, limiting yourself to the items above would be a mistake.
There are a few oils that are a must. Depending on time and finances, you can add them one at a time, or as a kit. Young Living has a kit which we think is a wonderful way to start. It is called the “Everyday Oils Essential Oil Collection” and it contains:
- Peace & Calming
I would also add Animal Scents to any first aid kit.
Essential Oil First Aid Kit: Essential Oil Recipes
Respiratory rub #1:
- 1/2 cup carrier oil – coconut oil is great
- 10 drops RC – YL blend
- 10 drops Elemi
- 3 drops Valor Mix and apply as needed
Respiratory rub #2:
- 1/4 cup carrier oil – coconut oil is great
- 5 drops Rosemary
- 5 drops Peppermint or Wintergreen Mix and apply as needed
- 20 drops Valerian
- 20 drops Vetiver
- 10 drops Helichrysum
- 3 drops Peppermint
Take in some milk or juice.
- 8 drops Clove
- 5 drops Thyme
- 5 drops Oregano Put into a “00″ capsule. Take 1 gelcap up to 3 times a day.
- 7 drops Oregano
- 3 drops Lemon Put into a “00″ capsule. Take 1 gelcap up to 3 times a day.
- 5 drops Thieves
- 2 drops Frankincense
- 1 to 2 drops Oregano Put into a “00″ capsule. Take 1 gelcap up to 3 times a day. I – Florence – have used this formula for my kids. I omit the Oregano when they are small because it is a strong oil. I give it to them with milk to protect their tummy. It works great. I also take it at any signs of sickness.
Essential Oil First Aid: More Ideas
Bug bites/stings: Purification, wintergreen, lavender, Animal scents (cream sold by Young Living).
Burns: Lavender, lavaderm (spray), cypress, Animal Scents (cream).
Cuts, Bruises, Wound healing: lavender, melrose, Animal Scents (cream), valor.
Fever reducers: Ledum, peppermint, lavender, copaiba.
Stomach issues: Di-gize, lemon, peppermint, nutmeg.
To information about ordering from Young Living click here
Sources for Essential Oil First Aid Kit: