The benefits of Slippery Elm Bark are many. The Slippery Elm is a small tree abundant in various parts of North America. The part of the Slippery Elm that is used is the inner bark.
The inner bark has important medicinal value and is an official drug of the United States Pharmacopeia.
Slippery Elm Bark is:
- Demulcent: This means it forms a soothing film over mucous membranes.
- Emollient: This means it softens and soothes the skin.
- Expectorant: This means it helps bring up mucus and other material from the lungs.
- Diuretic: This means it increases the rate of urination.
- Nutritive: This means nourishing.
You can find Slippery Elm in many various forms:
- Tablets and capsules
- Slippery Elm Lozenges
- Slippery Elm Powder
- Slippery Elm Extract
- The Coarse bark from which you can make Slippery Elm Tea
Make Your Own
Make Your Own Gelcaps
You can make your own gel caps pretty easily and cheaply. In order to do this you will need:
- Empty gelcaps
- Cap’em quick system
- Slippery Elm powder
Make Your Own Slippery Elm Tea
In order to make Slippery Elm tea, you will need 1 Tb. of dried bark and 1 pint of water.
Know that a more accurate term for this tea should be decoction.
A decoction is like a tea but is used for hard woodsy substances such as roots, bark, and stems. A decoction is intended for immediate use. You may however store it in the fridge for a maximum of 72 hours – 3 days.
- Place the root parts with the water in a pot.
- Simmer with the lid off until the volume of water is reduced by 1/4.
- Cool, strain, and take in divided doses according to the herb’s use.
Benefits of Slippery Elm: Make Your Own
The Uses of Slippery Elm Bark
Slippery Elm Bark helps with:
- Sore throat
- Mild respiratory ailments
- Gastritis, peptic ulcer, and other gastrointestinal conditions
- Wounds, burns, boils, and other skin conditions (external)
- Skin softener
Slippery elm has a most soothing and healing action. It is also very nutritious and is said to have as much nutrition as oatmeal!
Comment about Benefits of Slippery Elm Bark
Slippery elm is awesome by Amanda (Missouri)
One time when I had an awful sore throat a friend of mine who owns a healthfood store reccomended slippery elm. I bought it in a tablet form and I am thankful I did within a few minutes of letting it melt my throat no longer hurt!