Alternative to Ultrasounds by Lara (Britain)
Are there any safe alternatives to ultrasounds to check that the baby doesn’t have Down’s syndrome?
Answers to Alternative to Ultrasounds
- Answer from Florence – Natural Motherhood
Thank you for your question. Yes, there are other tests to determine if a child has Down syndromebefore he/she is born.
Some are screening tests meaning that while cost effective and easy to perform they will not give you a definite answer. If any of these tests come back positive, you will need a diagnostic test.
Besides the genetic ultrasound, there are 3 other screening tests and only one of these does not use ultrasound technology: the triple screen or quadruple screen – also called AFP.
Diagnostic tests are about 99% accurate However, they are associated with a risk of miscarriage and other complications.
- Chorionic Villus Sampling – carries high risks of miscarriage and most of the time it does useultrasound technology.
- Amniocentesis: uses ultrasound technology
- Percutaneous Umbilical Blood Sampling also called PUBS: it also uses ultrasound technology.
I hope this helps!
- Answer from Lara
Thank you very much! I couldn’t get this information anywhere!
- Answer from Florence from Natural Motherhood
You’re very welcome Lara. I am glad we could help!